Things are going well now! The painting slowly but surely getting done!
We are at step 5 I think now. Well step 4.5 was fixing all the elements I picked up on the final pencils. I tried my best to adjust everything. I will spare you the scan, because there isn’t much of a difference. So step 5 is the inking.
For this painting, as you could notice in the photoshop color test, most of the lines need to be blue, especially for the snow. Snow with black lines…. just doesn’t work for me (I’m guessing it doesn’t work for most people too) The wonderful Meredith Dillman showed me these liquid inks a while ago and it saved me soooo much trouble! Before that, I would actually paint colored lines with a very tiny brush and acrylics. But liquid acrylics can be used with a pen and nib! I use the Liquitex brand.
You can also see my new Tachikawa T-25 pen holder. My new baby! This is again a new wonderful discovery. I used to HATE inking. Never gave me good results. Always had to struggle with the pen and especially the nib. I never realised until a few months ago that maybe the tools were the problem. You’d figure that if it’s the only brand they sell in art store than it must be good! But no. It’s not. Tachikawa pen and especially the nibs make all the difference in the world. I can control my line the way I want to and the nibs are tough. I simply love them!
So after a few hours of inking, the whole thing now looks something like this:
Yup, doesn’t look all that pretty huh? But it’s important to remember that the inks will actually blend with the watercolour I will put over. I don’t mean that the inking will bleed. No. It’s actually closer to when you put one watercolour wash over the other. They multiply together to create a new shade. And somehow, it all works perfectly well. You will be able to see with the next step.
Step 6, the first washes on the background. I’ve started layering a few colors: Holbein’s Cobalt Green, Marine Blue and Peaccock Blue. And I also start to make the atmospheric perspective with the forest. Nothing fancy or definite yet. I let the watercolour do what it wants and I will work from there. I also added a bit of salt to get random light blobs that will also randomise the wash to get textures here and there.
You can already see how the lines of the castle are “blending” with the background. Somehow, they don’t look as blue anymore and mix well with the greenish forest.
Step 7, I continue with the background and make the forest look more “forest-ish” but also work on the castle. I didn’t want the castle to stand out all that much, so the lighting is still muted. I’ve also adding just one light wash of pink-ish red to the roofs. After everything is dry, I too out my acrylics and added highlights to the roof and the walls of the castle, just to make it pop a little.
Next step is the snow!!